Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpin' IRON

Have you been told you are "Iron deficient" or "anemic"? Well, I have been handed this news by many docs in the last few years. The finding is not so shocking as I had been vegetarian for over 8 years with a few bouts of veganism thrown in the middle. I was proud to live this lifestyle and was not phased by a low Ferritin count (what measures Iron stores)...until I found myself sleeping through every class and still having chronic fatigue. Iron is needed for processes such as oxygen transport to tissues, regulation of cell growth and differentiation, and immunity. So get some!

Side note: I DID start eating small amounts of meat about 8 months ago. It didn't help my score.

Allopathic doctors usually throw Ferrous Sulphate an anemic patient's way. But this form of iron is not the most bioavailable, AND it aggravates a symptom I need no more of- constipation. Many pregnant women find themselves in this situation since iron requirements increase dramatically in pregnancy. They and others may find this information useful because there is another form that does not cause constipation and it is more bioavailable. Ferrous citrate is the way to go, friends.


However, even though I am a naturopathic student, I HATE supplements. I live by Hippocrates' words, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." So how does one deal with low iron when avoiding meat?


First consult your doctor. You may not be ABSORBING it, which can be caused by many factors. Mine, for example, is hypochlorhydria. My gut doesn't have enough acid. One way of remedying this is to take a shot of apple cider vinegar before meals. But I'm sorry, I would rather take a shot of something that makes me puke after 10 shots, not 1. My decision has been to go with taking HCl supplements.

In order to get more iron in my diet I have chosen to go the food route. There are 2 different forms of iron- heme and nonheme. Plants have nonheme and animal products have heme, which is more easily absorbed. Some great forms of dietary iron include:
  • Black Strap Molasses- a couple tablespoons every day!
  • Chick Peas (Hummus!!), lentils, all beans really
  • Spinach (lightly steamed)
  • Dried figs and Dried apricots

If you are an omnivore:

  • Chicken liver has the most! Yummy.
  • Oysters, clams
  • Turkey, beef
  • Tuna, halibut

I will report back in 3-4 months on this issue. After fighting anemia for the last few years, it is time to get to the CAUSE and treat the WHOLE PERSON. Temporary supplementation of HCl should help my body to absorb the iron. Then when my ferritin increases to a healthy range of >70 (it is at 15), I will find the true CAUSE.

Why not enough acid? Anyone have ideas? :)

1 comment:

  1. Is it 3-4 months yet? Don't keep me in suspense, lish!

    (do you have me in your gmail as megatron? HA!)

    ReplyDelete