Friday, November 13, 2009

LIVIN THE DREAM!!

This is it. I am going to Peru! As long as I've been in college and post-grad school, I have been incredibly passionate about intercultural experiences through outreach programs. My luck thus far has included:
  • Alternative Breaks- a program run by students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison which plans volunteer trips around the country during Christmas, Spring and Summer breaks. I planned and attended trips to New Orleans pre-flood days working with impoverished areas and groups, and another blazing the Arizona Trail on the Mexico border. www.union.wisc.edu/atlbreaks/index.html


  • Up with People: WorldSmart- Though Up with People's program has been primarily entertainment-oriented today and in the past, my experience was with a temporary group that focused on leadership and volunteerism. We traveled to Canada, Japan, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and Italy spreading peace and love through unselfish acts:) http://www.upwithpeople.org/

My opportunity now being at NCNM (though not finalized) is to travel to Cuzko, Peru in the Peruvian Amazon and Andes for 10 days. I'd be working along side Dr. Jill Stansbury (www.jillstansbury.net/testimonials.html), who most people regard as one of the wisest herbalist naturopaths in the Pacific Northwest. Not only that, but she's freakin cool. Dr. Stansbury has been working down in Cuzko with many native healers and is now setting up a healthcare organization for the villages. I've got the itinerary already, and a trip to the Inca Trail is in the works!!

I am so stoked for this opportunity to expand my horizons of healing. One of my major interests and areas of study now has been with Shaman healers of the area, including Dr. Deborah Frances. I cannot WAIT to meet the Shamans of Peru and to soak in their wisdom. All of this training is leading up to the ultimate goal, that which Dr. Stansbury is already living- opening up a practice and having a second home in South America or Southeast Asia, where I can work with natives and help to optimize healthcare to those in need. (sounds like what we need here, too, hm?)

The one major challenge? Fundraising. Ick. But worth it as it is needed to provide the help we can to the region. MORE SOON!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment